Tuesday, August 09, 2011

No More Melancholy After 9 PM

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I officially cannot read melancholy books before going to bed. I can't sleep afterwards...even during hopeful chapters. Aside from being melancholy, I really enjoyed this coming-of-age classic.




It's convicting to read about a family struggling in Broodlyn, NY to survive on pennies a day (set in the early 1900s). It's also conviciting to read about how our country really hasn't changed in 100 years. We still struggle with poverty, educating our children, and yet we're still striving to grow and be on the forefront of progress.




I loved the prose and the determined spirit Smith gives to Francie and her mother, Katie. Katie displays the best of sacrifice. She realizes her husband will never be able to fully care for the family and she steps up, uncomplainingly, to help them survive. I admire her for not leaving her husband to find someone else to care for them. Katie understand commitment.




Wonderful book, but must be read during the day. :-)




View all my reviews

No comments: