Thursday, June 02, 2011

Rolling With It

So I totally thought I'd be posting this right about now...

There is something about me that attracts numerous changes all at once and in a short period of time. I don't think I seek it out, but I'm going to have to do some more reflecting some other time. Because right now, I'm packing. Not for a weekend, a week, or even a month. For six months. Yep, moving in less than two weeks for just six months. Let me back track.

Jason has been deployed stateside for four months and has just under two months left. He's requested a six-month extension and we've been approved. For a variety of reasons, I'm going to move to be with him for the remainder of his deployment. We just got approval and we're trying to get it all done by Memorial Day. Why? Several reasons...
1. We get the boys for a part of the summer. Obviously that time will be spent with Jason. I don't want to pay rent for time that I'm not going to be here.
2. It just makes sense.
Really, that was just one reason for the move before Memorial Day. But I've had a few months to mentally prepare. Jason broached the subject a few months ago, but there is a particular time-frame in which the military makes extension decisions, and so we had to wait.
I began making lists a few weeks ago. Lists for things I really must have with me for six months. Lists of things I must do this week, including host book club (I'm looking forward to that). Lists of people I must email, must drop by and see in person, lists of things I want to purge.
I've been purging for months. Mostly little things, but enough to make me feel as though most things will just get packed away for six months. Jason gave me a list of large items we'll also purge before moving our stuff into storage.
It's going to be quite a week. I'm looking forward to the time with Jason. I'm not looking forward to the good-byes. I'm not good with good-byes. I much prefer "see you laters."
I've been reciting Phillipians 4:13 in my head for the last few days. I think it shall continue till I'm through.

But what we thought was probable approval is really more of a possibility and so we are on hold.  I had my office PACKED!  But when things changed, I stopped packing.  No need to pack it all when we may just be staying put.  We forgot one of the rules of being in the Air Force, "never plan till you have the papers signed and on your desk!"

And we don't know when we'll know.  We'll know when we'll know.

One of my BFFs texted me and said, "I'd be beside myself if I were you."  And as I told her, I could be, but it wouldn't do me a bit of good because it wouldn't change anything. 
Fun, huh? 

I'm going to go back to pondering what I want this blog to be about.  I think it lacks purpose, which is why it often lacks posts.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

It doesn't lack purpose! You're sharing. I'm proud of you, Kari. I know (and Liesl would second it) that military life isn't always easy. I hope that your (Jason's) papers come through soon.

Emine said...

I know a thing or two about purging, letting go of things and leaving things behind. Done it twice in the last 18 months. But as I said, they are just things. What important is that you will be with your loved one. I wish you the best of luck and have a great summer in Florida! Miss you...