Monday, September 28, 2009

Anniversaries


In Loving Memory of Willard 'Bill' Sass 3/5/28-9-30/69
You are in our hearts forver...
Love, Betty, Sherry, Bev, Colleen, and Dean


This handsome devil is my Grandpa Sass. Wednesday marks the 40th anniversary of his death. He was young, 42. But, as with all of his brothers, he didn't eat particularly healthy food or lead a healthy lifestyle, and so a heart attack took him at the beginning of my mom's senior year of high school. He was Bill Sass, a radio DJ for WMT in Cedar Rapids, IA, as well as a trumpeter and singer for a polka band. He was fairly well known in the area--especially for his humor and laugh...so I've heard. I wish I'd known him, especially since I've grown up being told that I'm the "spittin' image" of him. No doubt we share some characteristics. I think he'd be described as gregarious. I like that.

My Aunt Bev had the radio station he worked for play his opening number Sunday morning in his honor. Then they played a polka in honor of Grandma, who did a extraordinary job raising four children on her own. It wasn't easy and being alone all these years hasn't been easy for her. But Grandma's a kick and I admire her greatly for all that she has done. I don't think she fully understands how amazingingly well her four children turned out. They are loving, caring, hardworking people with good heads on their shoulders. Life hasn't been easy for any of them, but they all stay positive. Through divorces, job changes, health issues--through it all they've put their faith in Christ and He's carried them through. And they like being with each other and their fun! Our two family weddings this year are proof--we're a kickin' family! The radio broadcast on Sunday had live streaming online, so my mom in Texas, my Aunt Colleen in Minneapolis, my Uncle Dean in San Diego, and my Aunt Bev and Grandma in Cedar Rapids all listened to Grandpa on the radio one more time together as a family.

I'll end here with a picture of Grandma and I dancing a polka at my wedding. Kelly did the same thing at her wedding. It wouldn't have been the same without at least one polka with Grandma.

1 comment:

Nina and Christopher said...

What a great tribute to your Grandpa! Hopefully we can talk soon. This week should be more free for me, so hopefully we can catch up.

Love, Nina