Saturday, February 09, 2013

Home



Here's a small attempt at catching you up on life in Okinawa.  We are living on base, which is a new experience for me, but one that I really like so far.  Everything I need...commissary, post office, work (more on that later), anything...is within a five to ten minute drive.  We're in a duplex-style house that was renovated about four years ago.  I have a larger kitchen then I've ever had before--well, I have more storage than I've ever had!  I have empty drawers!  Woo-hoo!  The first level has a hardwood laminate in the living/dining area and then tile in the kitchen and in the front room, which is serving as my office. There are two-and-half baths, which is nice except when I have to clean them all.  I know, I know, I'm not complaining...well, a little bit.  :)  Our washer/dryer is on the first level, which I'm adjusting to--I didn't expect that to be an adjustment, but somehow it is a real hassle to have to go up and down stairs to deal with the laundry.  But, I'm blessed to have them, so I will not complain. 

When we first moved in, we were using temporary furniture, which was provided by the base.  Our express shipment had already arrived on the island as well, so we were able to get it right away.  That meant I could decorate a little bit for Christmas and we at least had a table to sit at during dinner.  We also purchased an adult bed, a.k. a queen bed!  That felt like a huge luxury that I wish we had done sooner.  It's a HIGH bed--I really do use a step-stool to get in right now because the belly just doesn't let the legs get up as far as it used to.  :) 

I will take updated pictures soon now that we really have everything set-up.  We had everything in place within a week, with the exception of pictures hung--most of them are hung now. 

The nursery and the boys' room are the last two rooms that need to be put together.  We have everything we need for the nursery, we just need to sell our old double-bed and get it out of there so we can set-up.  The boys' room will get a little bit of an update too--they've outgrown their current linens and so I have some shopping to do for them.  :) 

1 comment:

Nina said...

Looks great! I'm sure you're getting excited to get your baby's room ready. :)